Monday, January 11, 2010

So Here We Are in NYC

Photobucket

Get ready for a big ol' post of us just standing in front of cool stuff :)


Photobucket

This is the view from Allison and Noah's office, not too shabby, eh? We kept a pack-n-play there and it was so nice to hop over there when the girls needed a nap. And speaking of Allison and Noah:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The most gracious of hosts! We couldn't have done it without them. Literally. I don't think I could do that city without at least a 3 adult: 2 children ratio.

I really wanted to blend in, avoid the 'I'm A Confused Tourist' look. I was curious if I could hack it as a big city momma. As it turns out, no. When I told Katherine I was taking the girls there alone, she told me how empowering it was for her to take her girls to Chicago by herself last year. Well, I definitely did not leave there feeling empowered! How do people have kids there?!? I would need a more subway-friendly stroller, a better place than my back pocket for my metro card, and if NY could install an elevator or two in the subway, I'd be much obliged.

Photobucket

This mosaic was awesome and Abbey loved running by shouting the letters.

My girls totally bought into the idea that New York is the city that never sleeps. I wanted them to go harder, but I was actually impressed with how well they held up. And the second Abbey ever got a few square feet of space, the girl was shakin' it:

Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket

I wasn't too concerned about catching the touristy stuff. But when you are already roaming around FAO Schwarz, who could resist sliding around on the big Big piano?


Photobucket

And is the Shake Shack worth the hype, my friends? In a word: YES!!!! The burger I could take or leave but I'd say that about any burger. But the shakes at the Shake Shack? Mmm, Mmm, Mmmmmmmm.

Here's Hayden licking the last bits of the french fry carton:

Photobucket


Al & Nobie had to run into work for a couple hours one afternoon so the girls and I took the chance to walk next door to Rockefeller Plaza. I was really hoping to run into Tina Fey. Turns out they film in Jersey, lame-o. The tree is still up and the girls were enchanted with the ice skaters, so not a total loss :)

Photobucket

12 comments:

ChickenUnderwear said...

How do people have kids there?!?

The same way people have kids everywhere else.

Katherine said...

I love all these pictures! Ever since we talked I've been wanting to go to NYC so bad!! I don't know how you managed to take such awesome pictures when you were so busy chasing two little ones. You've got skills, my friend.

I didn't have to mess with subways when I was in Chicago. The weather was nice and we were able to walk everywhere. I'm sure that made all the difference!

Ashley said...

With all due respect, it is much much easier to throw my kids in the car to do grocery shopping than to carry them AND their stroller up two flights of stairs before the errand even gets started. I'm sorry if you took that to mean that I don't think people in large cities should ever have children. Quite the opposite, I am super impressed by people who make it work by carrying babies, diaper bags, and groceries all while trying to keep a toddler from wandering away into a crowd or worse. As always, I am in full support of offspring anywhere! Thanks for stopping by.

ChickenUnderwear said...

I was talking abut the "birds and the bees" thing. ;)

Ashley said...

Ahh, then touche!

Barb said...

your a brave woman. not only to survive a nyc trip alone with two kids, but also nyc in the winter! I'm not a fan of that city during that time, its freezin.

loved all your pics, looks like a fun visit with your sis. your girls are beautiful.

Tiff and Trev said...

HOW FUN!!! I am so impressed, Ashley! It kind of makes me sick that you're able to juggle two children, have them look magazine-worthy in every picture, and look FABULOUS yourself! AND your able to capture all of these priceless moments!

Brings me back to the Olympa-Trip days, where we were most definitely tourists. Good times...

melissa said...

I heart NY, but I don't think I'm brave enough to take two small kiddies there. Here's to you! Those pictures are so fun! The first one is my super fave.

Allison and Noah Riley said...

And yikes! Please tell me there was some adjusting of the color on the Shake Shack photo because LOOK AT MY FREAKISH GRAY FOREARM!

Ashley said...

Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to make you look like the undead. But really, who but you would even notice your forearm? :)

Aubrey said...

Looks like you had too much fun, yet again. You always seem to enjoy yourself anywhere! Glad you had so much fun!

Tara Ann said...

Hey, I have never looked at your blog before. Amazing! Your girls are so adorable! I was wondering, what kind of camera do you use. Now that we have the prospect of an income in the near future a better camera will definitely be something I want to invest in. What a fun time you guys had in NYC. It is an amazing place. I still can't believe we are going to live there. Although Jersey might be where we end up.

And, did you crochet the flowers and the hats. I learned how to make one type of flower, but it was different than yours. I would love to learn how to make yours and the beanies, if you made those. I have no idea how to do beanies.