Thursday, April 24, 2014

First Week With Ruthie

 photo 8577moonbeamcropped_zps79822741.jpg



 photo 8352justdandy_zps19d2f267.jpg


 photo 8350_zps107c9347.jpg

I'm having a hard time even remembering back to the first week home with Ruthie.  My mom flew in Friday night to be with us for a week and it was a complete pleasure.  Every minute, I felt so lucky to have her there.  She was so great at anticipating what I would need, before I realized I needed it.

 photo 8477organic_zpsebd2405c.jpg

If ever a little boy loved his Grandma, this was it.

 photo 8516_zps66121b37.jpg


 photo 8520_zpsdec51d5e.jpg

 photo 8306_zps19084839.jpg

 photo 8312perfectbampw_zpsbad4c54f.jpg

 photo 8314_zps0d582258.jpg


 photo 8522_zps0d08c185.jpg

I was going to try and remember all the amazing every day moments my mom had with my kids.  She is a constant teacher and is so great at tugging at their little minds.  But here it is, four months later, and this seems like a lifetime ago.  But I do remember one moment when I was trying to get Abbey to concentrate on her Lincoln biography.  I thought I'd motivate her by telling her how much I loved Lincoln, what an inspired President he was, etc.  It wasn't working, she was not impressed.  My mom was doing dishes and casually said, "Abbey, since your mom loves Lincoln so much, why don't you read a page, pick out your favorite information, and quiz her on it."  Boom.  Done.  I couldn't believe these perfect ideas that would just pop in her head.

She brought these blank hard back books and worked for hours with the girls to write and illustrate their own stories.  I saw this scene probably every night:

 photo 8474_zps73ced21d.jpg

I started getting upset a few nights before she flew home, just in anticipation of her leaving.  When it came time for J to drive her to the airport, I literally could not say goodbye.  Those first few weeks are so hard and all I wanted to do was watch as this beautiful baby changed before my eyes.  Thanks, Mom, for helping me enjoy those first days with her.

No comments: