Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Family Bed

You know the dilemma? Should you or should you not let your kids sleep in your bed? Well, since I produce the least cuddly kids on earth, it's never been an issue. Seriously, I could count on one hand the number of times Abbey's let me cuddle with her in the last year. It's around two.

Apparently if you lose control and/or cry enough in one day, your otherwise distant toddler will take some pity and give into some lovin'. As the last straw in a pretty crappy day, Abbey would not stay in her room. My plan of attack so far (thank you Super Nanny) has been to not say a word and just walk her back to bed. I was simply too tired last night and could sense she was a little fragile (probably due to my aforementioned meltdowns), so we went and crawled into my bed and cuddled :) I honestly couldn't believe she was snuggling then she started patting and tickling my arm. It was just what I needed, sweet girl.

As she drifted off to sleep, I thought 'I could get used to this. I'm instituting the 'family bed'.' And I did. For another hour when Justin got home and promptly carried her into her own room! Ha ha, it was a nice thought. I do take naps with Hayden during the day, so maybe that's how I'll get away with it.

Who wouldn't want to wake up to these beautiful mugs?



Ok, ok, this isn't how Hayden looks when she wakes up. I don't let her sleep naked with a perfectly placed hair bow--this was for picture purposes :) But this is the Abster right after a nap--messy hair, no shirt, wrapped in her 'bankie'.

16 comments:

Tara said...

well, you got me hooked to those two cuties. Such beauts those gals are! Love those pics:)

Natalie said...

The pictures of your girls are darling!

Writer J said...

They have the biggest blue eyes...I love them! you have such adorable children :)

Chelsea said...

those pictures are beautiful!!! and yes I say take the cuddles when you can get them:)

The Hodsons said...

I love these pictures. You really should consider doing photgraphy professionally on the side.

Oh, and so sorry you didn't like that book. I had to laugh though at your comment because I got a mental image of the situation you described...yah, probably not the best time for that book.

rebecca said...

They really are cuties. Is that the same pink blanky Abbey had when she was little? Just wondering, as I now have a Linus who won't let go of his "ganky".

Ashley said...

Yes! And the attachment is just growing stronger and stronger. She knows it stays in the house or in the car so hopefully it doesn't get too out of control. I actually like that she has something that gives her comfort.

Danette said...

You take such amazing photos, sure helps that your models are gorgeous!

Tristie hearts Dax said...

I am totally an advocate of ANYTHING that gives the mom more sleep, but dad has to agree with the set-up, too. But for me, I simply can NOT sleep with little squirmy bodies next to me. So, the family bed is out. My kids do sleep on the floor next to my side of the bed on occasion. But that is as close as their little kicky feet get.

Tristie hearts Dax said...

OH, and SO sorry about your major bad day! I so know what you are talking about. Hang in!

Tahna Lee said...

Ashley, I hope we get the Pace Family Reunion thing going some day so I have a chance of hanging out with you a bit. You bring light to my life even from afar.

hayley said...

I love those shots. Priceless.

always loven life said...

I love your girls!!

Aubrey said...

Oh so cute!

DeGooyer Family said...

What beautiful photos of your girls!!!

Erin said...

Cute pictures. I totally know how you could have a meltdown with trying to get a toddler to stay in his/her bed! But I'm glad she cuddled you and made you feel happy! :)