Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Ruthie Faye Pace

 photo dsc8416_zps2a26c794.jpg



 photo 8332winteralabaster_zps40b6cecb.jpg


 photo dsc8559_zpsef32b518.jpg


 photo 8231_zpsa6c2884b.jpg

Ruthie's Story

Tuesday night, Justin and I were laying in bed, going over the possible scenarios for the coming week.   What was the best plan if I went into labor while the girls were at school, if it happened in the middle of the night, would Justin drive to me or would I meet him at the hospital, what made the most sense for Bennett, etc. etc.  He was giving me a lecture about not waiting around once I started into labor, to just call him right away so he could get his cases covered for the day.  My concern was that I wasn't sure if I would know!  On my fourth baby, I wouldn't know if I was in labor, ha ha!  But my water has always broken before, so it had been obvious.

Not five minutes later, I went to the kitchen and my water broke.  Justin was home, house was clean, kids were in bed, my awesome neighbor was there in five minutes, and I didn't ruin our brand-new mattress.  Things were off to a good start.

From there, it was smooth sailing.  Justin's partner did my epidural and it was perfect.  My last one was fine, but I got nervous at some point, my body reacted, and my blood pressure tanked.  I was expecting the same response this time, but he was super quick and my brain didn't have time to start going crazy.  In fact, that was the story of the night.  Everything just went faster than I could process.

We tried to get some sleep and wait things out.  Around 3:30, I couldn't sleep through it.  I wasn't in pain, necessarily, but it was like I could feel the contractions in my bones, they were so strong.  Then it was go time!  My doctor came in, nurses started warming up the baby bed, everyone was getting ready.  I was thinking back to Bennett's birth and how I pushed FOREVER when my doc said to go ahead and try a push.  I did the most half-hearted push because I was more concerned about figuring out where I wanted my arms, how high I wanted to sit, etc.  Basically, I was settling in for some work and making myself comfortable when they said, "And she's out."  I opened my eyes and said, "You have got to be kidding me!"  I didn't even try, it was crazy!  A big part of me was disappointed (which I know sounds ridiculous) but I thought, really?  The party's over already?!

Before I knew it, she was in my arms starting to nurse, the room was empty, and it was just the three of us.  Of course, the next few hours were a blur of excitement and exhaustion.  Mostly, I felt enormous gratitude and relief that I made it!  Four deliveries went perfectly, four babies came perfectly healthy.  And now we are all here.


 photo 8217_zpse3adbed9.jpg


 photo 8297justdandy_zps06b6151a.jpg

The kids came later that afternoon and immediately set out to find if she was ticklish:

 photo 8269_zpsab71e5bc.jpg


 photo 8268_zps25fddec9.jpg

(Again, reading the digits on her hospital band.  Only this time, yes, that IS how much she cost!  I miss good insurance…)

 photo 8251_zps05c68ae4.jpg


 photo 8242_zps2ea32cf3.jpg


 photo 8249_zps487ca063.jpg


 photo 8273_zpsf0b64310.jpg

Bennett has been the perfect mix of interest and aloofness.  He checks her out once or twice a day, holds onto her ears for a second, gives her a hug, then ignores her the rest of the day.  Perfect.

 photo 8282_zps1dd92775.jpg

I've never been in a hurry to leave the hospital in the past.  I think I like the pampering.  But I was SO ready to leave the next morning.  Justin ended up going home with the kids and it was a lonely night watching way too much HGTV.  I got the impression from one nurse that I needed to keep Ruthie in my room, but they told me over and over not to fall asleep with her in my arms.  I hadn't slept much in 24+ hours and could not stay awake, but she was restless all night.  I felt overwhelmed and finally called the nursery--they didn't question it at all so I imagine it would have been no problem all along.  Justin works with these folks and they were already catering to me a bit, so I didn't want to be demanding in the least.  But I couldn't do another night like that alone and we needed more hands at home, albeit the exhausted, barely helpful hands I had to offer.  Luckily, physically, I felt fantastic! In fact, I went and ran errands myself that night.  And I felt I did better emotionally than I had in the past.  I only cried over reasonable things, like when I unpacked my hospital bag or when J asked if I wanted pancakes or french toast.


 photo 8339_zps80b7a181.jpg


 photo 8336_zps2b6e76b4.jpg


 photo 8334winteralabaster_zps6cf7dd09.jpg

The girls are over the moon.  Hayden makes up songs for her, Abbey is on constant binkie duty in the car, and they both beeline it for her whenever they get home.  I love the look of pride that shows on their faces whenever they show her off to friends.  I hope they are as good to her as they are to each other.

 photo 8442alabastercropped_zps1669f169.jpg


 photo 8452alabastercropped_zps450c6950.jpg

8 comments:

Randy, Alanna, Keira, and Braden said...

She is precious. You have a beautiful family, congrats. I always love reading your delivery stories. We miss you guys, hope your loving Texas!

Carmen said...

Love this. I'm so happy that everything went well.

val said...

Oh my goodness. This post made my night!!! Beyond precious. Loved her story and how adorable she is. Love her name and her open eyes in matching grey w big sis. Love that she completes your family. Love you. Xoxo

val said...

And all the b&w hospital photos. And her little announcement. And that quilt!!!

Alisa and Crowells said...

What a sweet, sweet post! I can't believe she came so fast and smooth! And to hardly feel a thing...now that is something I would dream to experience! ;) Ruthie is SUCH a doll. Darlingest bundle in the world. I have this inkling that you crocheted her blanket? So beautiful. I think one of my favorite pictures is the girls in the foreground and adorable Bennett in his own world in the distance. Made me smile. :) Congratulations, Pace Family on such a lovely, lovely addition! xx

kenzie said...

I can't believe you have 4 kids! Thanks for sharing your story. Congratulations! All your kids are so adorable. I love the full length picture of Ruthie and her tiny baby legs. That's my favorite part of newborns.

Victoria Gilbert said...

Your family is complete!!!! I'm so happy you posted Ruthie's story!! I've been excited to hear all about it! She is so beautiful. Just perfect. You really have a gift for capturing these moments in your photos. Love you Paces!!

Chrissy said...

I am SO HAPPY for you!! Congratulations! She is gorgeous. And so are your photos. :)